Friday, May 23, 2008

darkness overcomes you


My mom is dying. I am am not at all convinced that I'll ever see her again. The world is full of shades of gray , and they lean excessively toward the black rather than they white in their overall tone.

Shaun Tan captures the overall tone of my feelings lately in a couple pictures from his The Red Tree, especially this one (above), entitled Darkness Overcomes You. In order to fully appreciate the painting, it's somewhat important that you know that the main character in the book is the little girl with orangeish hair who is standing on the other side of the street almost under the hinge of the fish's jaw--the character standing furthest from the viewer. That's me. Tan's "Nobody Understands: (below) also works well for me right now. If I were *quite* wealthy, I would buy a couple Shaun Tan originals, and hang them in my house.

3 comments:

byron smith said...

It was when you posted a Red Tree picture that I started reading your blog. I had just read the book and it caught my attention. They are such powerful images. I am sorry about your mother.

Megs said...

dearling Bens, I love you.

David Henson said...

What haunting images. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope that the timing remaining with her can somehow be good time in spite of the pain and despair. I don't know if it's possible, but i hope it is.