Monday, October 02, 2006

Math headaches




I've noticed something peculiar. When I concentrate on calculus for a few hours, trying desparately to understand, especially when I haven't done any math in months, I get a peculiar and very specific headache which is centered directly behind the bridge of my nose and hurts like ... well, like a profanity. I don't get this particular headache from anything else. So I read a ... difficult article today from Simone Weil (she was a genius!) and she says the primary purpose of school studies is to develop the discipline of attentiveness in order that we may apply this discipline to prayer (loving God) and others (loving others). I urge you to read the original article here Simone Weil--Reflections on the Right Use of School Studies with a View to the Love of God. Read more about Simone Weil

4 comments:

Megs said...

Darling I do hope your poor math headache subsides, even when you're doing maths! ouch! love you dearly
m

Anonymous said...

but are you drinking enough water benjamin?

Benjamin Ady said...

hmmm. If by enough you mean...64 ounces (1/2 gallon, that is, 2 liters)/day, then nope. Does coffee count? (smile)
Hope you four are all very well. I think you and me have in common that we are both unable to go to Rachel's wedding, and we both feel sad about that. So we are part of the sad-we-can't-go-to-Rachel-and-Victor's-wedding club. somehow the community of being in a club alleviates a tiny bit the sadness of being in the club.

Anonymous said...

yes