Sunday, March 16, 2008

bachelor's degree

On Tuesday I'll finally be done with this (bloody) quarter, and barring unforeseen events, in June, after just one more quarter, I'll graduate with a bachelor's degree in psychology and maths. And if that happens, according to the U.S. census bureau, I'll be more educated than ~70% of the American populace.

(But only more educated than 47.3% of Seattle's populace.)

But where does that put me? The U.S. ranks 12th on the education index in the 2007 version of the U.N.'s Human Development Report. That's out of 177 nations. Which puts us in the top 7%.

Which means I'm in the top 30% of the top 7% of the planets population in terms of education (I realize this is an oversimplification). Which puts me pretty much in the top 2% of the planet in terms of education. Even though this is a simplification, it's probably a fairly accurate generalization of the situation.

And what have I done to MTWABP (make the world a better place) with this unseemly wealth?

Not much. yet. Note to self: get to work on this.

Further note to self: If you don't, it won't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things, so maybe you should set your goals a little lower, and settle for ... a nice comfortable middle class life in suburbia.

No comments: