Monday, June 09, 2008

Quoteo of the week: Really *really* really?

"Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?"

(Editor's note. This quote is actually somewhat disappointing. If we are going to be redundant, then we ought to be really redundant, and thus there should really be another "really" in between "you" and "believe")

The quote is from here, promoting this web site.

Warning--don't be sucked into believing you have to give a yes or no answer to this question, just because of how it is framed. *Were* you to be thusly sucked in, you would be allowing yourself to be chained down by limits of modernism--a rather yucky place to find yourself.

(On the other hand, you have to give FOTF some credit for this)

2 comments:

Joe said...

Too clever for me. If I believe something is 'really real' (which in itself is surely nonsense - like 'really unique') then obviously I am going to believe it.

OK, I'm not going to use that language because it annoys me.

If I really believe in my worldview, then it follows that I believe it is the best explanation for reality. If I am in practice ambivalent or ignorant about what those in power actually mean when they articulate the worldview I intellectually assent to, then clearly I don't really believe in my worldview.

But I'm not sure that is the point... in fact, I'm not sure there is a point..

Fishpimp said...

Remember, the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.