Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Jerry Falwell and public schools





"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won’t have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"
– Rev. Jerry Falwell
That's from his book America Can Be Saved, written in 1979, according to multiple internet sources (now there's lousy citation for you)

But ... the thing is, I rather suspect he still thinks this.


I guess he wants to see a United State where:

  • no one has any body piercings except women can have ear rings.
  • no men have hair longer than their collar
  • all students are taught that the earth is 6000 years old
  • students are not allowed to have unapproved demonstrations
  • no one is allowed to watch R rated movies
  • students are required to tattle on their classmates or else be considered guilty of whatever they didn't tattle about.

All from Liberty Universities rules and regulations
(except the 6000 year old earth bit, but to the best of my understanding that is what is taught at Liberty)


So 15,000 people are currently paying $80,000 for the privilege of going to Liberty University for four years and earning their undergrad degree from an institution whose chancellor and founder (as best as I understand) has never actually earned a doctoral degree

I don't get that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Thanks for posting on Falwell. I'm from Lynchburg and follow Liberty's expansion here. I know you have visited before, thanks!

LP said...

fucker.

Benjamin Ady said...

Annie,


No problem. My aunt works at Falwell's high school, so I've been to Lynchburg a couple times to visit her. Thomas Road is at the most unpalatable end of the spectrum of evangelical churches, IMNSHO

Laurel.

Wow.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, this is so frightening. I guess one reason why there should be public schools out there could be this simple existence of the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE I believe it doesn't need any further development... oh well, one day they're gonna get it. It better be soon.