Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Doomsday Clock


In recent news, the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists advanced their doomsday clock two minutes closer to midnight, so that it now stands at 11:55 PM. This is intriguing to me. It seems to me that ... more people in the west, and perhaps in the world, had a stronger sense of impending disaster from nuclear warfare back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's than do now in the 00's.

What do you think? Do you have a sense of impending danger/doom from either nuclear profileration/warfare, or from global warming/climate change?

My own sense is that though I do have a lot of fear, my fear is generally unjustifiable/irrational--it's not based on things which are actually dangerous or deadly, at least not at the same levels as the fear seems to indicate. This irrational fear tends to drown out the sense of reality based fears which I otherwise might have.

2 comments:

Megs said...

we are so much more SOPHISTICATED, here in the oughties, than anybody ever was back in the sixties, seventies & eighties...

Leslie said...

It's all coming to a head. I don't feel doom so much, I think it's inevitable. I think the clock is ticking. End times are near, and the evidence is everywhere, we can't stop it, so why feel doom and gloom. I am keeping my eyes on the road in front of me. Keeping faith...